In a search through email archives for what lead me to believe that the Phyllostachys aureosulcata ‘Spectabilis’ we have growing in containers at our front door was Phyllostachys vivax ‘Aureocaulis’ – “Gold Vivax”, I found this picture below from July 13, 2009.
The email was to Jimmy, asking him what he thought about creating an above ground bed in the center of the backyard – quite smaller than what we ended up doing. His response, “Looks doable.” So, it was done. This new bed was originally intended for Vivax but was later talked into Bambusoides. So different from how the yard looks today. Another thing you can see in the two photos is the arrow bed in the background, along the gate, is just being dug in the large picture, but the thumbnail picture of how it looks now shows that bed complete too.